Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Lotta Latkes

Who doesn't love latkes? Last night I made a big batch for my daughters, their friends and my husband. The remaining latkes are going to be shared at a Christmas dinner this week.

Some people only use long strands of shredded potatoes, others shred and then process the mixture into the consistency of a mashed potato pancake. I take the middle route.

First I use a food processor and shred all the potatoes into a bowl of cold water to reduce the browning. Then I drain and strain the water and potato liquid by squeezing it in a colander until almost dry. Next the onions are grated and mixed with the shredded potatoes, eggs, salt, pepper and a little flour. Then - and here's my secret to perfect latkes - I take half the mixture and chop it in the food processor then add it to the other half and mix it up.

Heat Canola oil until a drop of water sizzles and then add spoonfuls of latkes and fry until crisp. Drain on paper towels and place on foil lined sheets to heat up for later consumption. I always serve mine with apple sauce and sour cream. L'chaim!

2 comments:

Bullseye El said...

I'm looking forward to sharing your latkes on Christmas night. My mom is looking forward to them as well.
LUV U

Dan Reich said...

I can verify that they were quite tasty, and even were great as leftovers. I like the mix of textures...they held together well but still had a satisfying feel.