Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Incredibly Easy, Healthy and Delicious Chinese Soup

Too much partying in December led to my New Year's cold. Chest cold = soup. I've made a lot of soup in the past two weeks. What could be more perfect in January? It's a welcome break from the heavy food over the holidays and it's nice and warm.

I get so excited stirring my soups because I know that all the vitamins and minerals that normally leach away from veggies stay right there in the pot.

And you can make soup with whatever you have in your pantry. So practical! So healthy! Such Variety! Quick and Easy! Yummy! And low fat!

Here's the soup I made tonight to rave reviews from the daughter who diligently watches her weight, and the husband who caught my cold.

Hot and Sour Soup

Start by soaking 8 or so dried Chinese black mushrooms in water for 30 minutes. Drain them and slice and/or chop. Mix 2-1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar with the same amount of soy sauce and 1 tsp. each sesame oil, and Chinese chile oil. Set aside. Bring 3 cans of chicken broth to a boil (approximately 35 ounces) and add chopped black mushrooms and some sliced button mushrooms. Throw in some chopped bok choy (or cabbage or whatever you happen to have) and a package of firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes. Add the vinegar mixture, 1/2 tsp. of black pepper and some sliced green onions. Then thicken it with a little cornstarch mixed with water. You're supposed to add a beaten egg to the soup. I didn't, it's up to you. So what's your favorite soup?

No comments: